For the Base
· 1 cup Red masoor dal
· 1 Onion
· 2 medium Tomatoes
· 1-2 garlic minced
· 1/4 tsp Turmeric
· Salt to taste
· Lemon juice to taste
· 1/2 tsp Cumin
· 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
· 1-2 Dried red Chilli
· 2 inch Ginger, julienned
· Pinch of Asafoetida
· Few sprigs of Curry Leaves
· Finely chopped coriander for the garnish
· 2 tbsp Ghee
1. Wash the masoor dal well in cold water till the water runs clear because this dal tends to require a little tedious cleaning process.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee or oil in a saucepan, add onions and garlic along with salt and turmeric and cool it for about 2 minute.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the dal along with 3 cups of water.
5. You can adjust the amount of water once the dal is cooked depending on the consistency.
6. Stir and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat, close with a lid and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or til cooked well.
7. Once the dal is cooked, give it a stir and adjust the amount of water.
8. Heat the remaining ghee in another pan, Add mustard seeds to it and when they begin to crackle, add the cumin, ginger, red chillies, hing and curry leaves to it.
9. Add it to the dal. Give it a quick stir and garnish with chopped coriander.