Sesame is one of the oldest condiments used by man. Sesame seeds have the highest oil content and have been domesticated by humans for the past 3000 years. These seeds are known for adding a nutty taste to the dish and are available all year round. These crunchy seeds do not only add taste to food but also provide various health benefits to humans.
Listed below are a few health benefits of Sesame:
1) Sesame seeds are rich in phytosterols which help in maintaining low cholesterol level. Black sesame seeds are more beneficial because of their higher phytosterol content.
2) Sesame is good source of fiber and helps in digestion. It is also known for reducing constipation and diarrhoea.
3) Regular use of sesame oil promises to give you a healthy skin. Its zinc content produces collagen which helps in increasing the elasticity of the skin as well as repairing damaged body tissue. Say bye-bye to wrinkles too.
4) Sesame is high in minerals like calcium, zinc and phosphorus which are advantageous for our body’s bone health. Consumption of sesame creates new bone matter while repairing the weakened bones. Regular intake of sesame reduces the risk of osteoporosis as well.
5) Sesame is known for reducing the chances of diabetes and controlling it if already developed. Sesame oil proves vital when consumed with oral diabetes medicine, improving the functionality of the pill.
6) Copper content in sesame seeds is beneficial because it reduces the inflammation in bones, muscles and joints. It is also essential in strengthening blood vessel walls.
7) Sesame seeds are rich in protein, which when consumed adds largely to the strength, mobility, cellular growth and metabolic function of the body.
Sesame is highly useful and beneficial for the body however, large intake of this condiment can result in irritation in the stomach and colon.
Eat healthy. Eat the right amount.