Nutmeg is the seed of the evergreen tree, Myristica fragrans. The seed is egg shaped and used mostly in powdered form. It is native to the Indonesian island Moluccas, which is also known as the spice islands. This highly aromatic spice is known for its curative and aphrodisiac features. Add a pinch of this powdered seed to any food and let it do its magic.
Given below are the health benefits of Nutmeg:
1) Nutmeg oil contains eugenol, which is known for causing relief in pain. It can be used for massage as it reduces rheumatic pain of the joints and any kind of muscular pain. It can also be used for treating toothache.
2) Nutmeg is a rich source of potassium which is an important constituent of body fluids and cells that help in controlling the blood pressure and heart rate. A pinch of nutmeg a day should keep the doctors away.
3) Nutmeg is a relief for people who suffer from digestion related problems like constipation, flatulence and diarrhea. Nutmeg oil removes excess gas from the intestine, relieving the stomach and improving your apetite.
4) Do you have trouble sleeping at night? A warm glass of milk with nutmeg in it is the cure for you. Remember, dadi’s are always right!
5) Need to get rid of bad skin? Nutmeg is the answer! Mix nutmeg powder with orange peel powder or honey and apply it on your face or other skin parts that worry you. This will help you get rid of acne, blackheads and acne marks.
6) Nutmeg is essential for maintaning good liver and kidney health. It helps in cleaning the organs by removing toxins. It also prevents formation of kidney stones and dissolves them if already formed. This is beneficial for better functioning of the organs.
Add nutmeg to your soups, sauces and sweets and let the spice enchant you.