We all know how nutritious fruits and vegetables are. Doctors suggest us, to include seven to nine servings of them, in our daily diet because, the more vegetables and fruits we eat the healthier we will be. In this article, we will focus on the health benefits of Red foods. Naturally occurring red food items include apples, beetroot, tomatoes, strawberries, etc.
1) Red fruits and vegetables are healthy because they are rich in nutrients like ellagic acid, lycopene, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, fiber, etc. Lycopene, which is a vital nutrient present in these foods, helps reduce the risk of cancer.
2) Strawberries, beetroots and raspberries are rich sources of anthocyanins, which are powerful antioxidants and help prevent diabetes and control high blood pressure.
3) They lower the LDL cholesterol in the body. LDL cholesterol is the bad cholesterol which causes severe health related issues.
4) Red fruits and vegetables are good for people with arthritis. They are rich in nutrients which help support the joint tissues.
5) These fruits and vegetables protect the body from harmful free-radicals and reduce tumor growth.
6) The plus point of eating red foods is that their benefits are enhanced on cooking, and are not dependent on eating raw foods. The cooked version of the tomato sauce has greater health benefits than the uncooked version.
7) They are also rich sources of flavonoids and tannins which reduce inflammation and prevent bacteria from attacking the cells.
Incorporate lots of reds in your daily meals and lead a healthier life. Not just apples but, any red fruits and vegetables a day will help keep the doctor away!