It’s that time of the year again when you’re surrounded by colour, peals of laughter and joy. But more importantly, while Holi is the festival of colours, it is the time when the aroma of delicious homemade delicacies fills the air. We have put together a list of the top food and beverages that we Indians can’t do without on this day!
- Thandai – One of the most favoured drinks during Holi, thandai is a cool drink that is made with milk, dry fruits, spices like cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sweetened with sugar. It is the perfect refreshment to offer guests and to cool off between the festivities.
- Dahi Vada – A popular chaat dish that is made with fried lentils, potatoes, or chickpea flour, which is then generously lathered in hung curd, spices like chilli powder, dried mango powder, chaat masala, salt and pepper. Coriander or mint leaves are used as garnishes.
- Pakora – Another treat that you have to try is the pakora! This fried snack is made with potatoes or onions dipped in slurry made with gram flour, chilli powder, chaat masala, dried mango powder, and then deep fried. It is served with mint or tamarind chutney.
- Pani Puri – Arguably the most beloved chaat savoured the nation over, this refreshing snack consists of a crisp fried flour shell that is filled with tamarind chutney and mint water, peas or potatoes, and onions that is mixed with chilli powder and chaat masala. And ones you start, it is hard to put the plate down!
- Lassi – With the heat beating down this month, a refreshing glass of lassi goes a long way in keeping your spirits up and keeping you energised while you run about spreading colour! It is made yogurt, spices or fruits, and flavouring!
Hope you all have a wonderful Holi with friends and family, celebrate responsibly and eat your hearts’ fill this season!