With the festival of colours around the corner, we have rounded up a list of sweets that are sure to create an explosion of flavour in your mouth, while working as the perfect Holi offering for friends and family!
- Gujiya – Popular in the North, but also enjoyed in the rest of the country, Gujiya is a sweet flour dumpling that is stuffed with ingredients like khoya, dry fruits, coconut, and/or jaggery. It is fried and then dipped in sugar syrup.
- Malpua – A traditional Indian pancake-like dessert, the malpua is made with flour mixed with crushed bananas or coconut, milk, and sugar or jaggery and like all other delicious snacks- is deep fried in ghee! As is classic, it is dipped in sugar syrup and served after!
- Puran Poli – Simply put a sweetened roti-like dessert. Puran poli is a sweet flatbread stuffed with lentils mixed with jaggery, and flavoured with cardamom, nutmeg or saffron. And like all good things, it is served with a generous dollop of ghee!
- Kaju Barfi – A perfect dessert for every occasion, Holi is no exception! A diamond shaped sweet, the barfi is made with cashew nut paste, thickened milk, saffron, and sugar. Flavourings like cardamom, cinnamon, chocolate, etc., are sometimes added. A silver edible foil is applied as a finishing touch!
- Kulfi – No dessert list is complete without ice-cream on it! Kulfi is an Indian-style ice-cream made with milk mixed with dry fruits, and is denser than a traditional ice-cream. It comes in a myriad of flavours ranging from cardamom, saffron, rose, pistachio, mango, and malai amongst others!
So tickle your taste buds, and spread some colour and love this Holi!